Thursday, May 3, 2012

Chalkboard Frame



A chalkboard frame is a great way to write a little love note, jot down grocery items, announce the dinner menu…or anything you’d like!  I used a plain $2 thrift store find that was actually an unattractive picture, but you can use something more ornate if you want it to be “fancier”. 

First, I covered the glass by using painters tape and newspaper.  Next, I applied two coats of Krylon Primer in White.  I allowed that to dry for a few minutes, then applied four coats of Krylon Semi-Gloss White spray paint (yes, that’s a bit excessive but I wanted really good coverage).  I allowed that to dry for several days then removed the newspaper and painters tape from the glass.  You don’t have to wait that long, a day is fine.

With the frame completely dried, I covered it with painters tape being careful not to get any tape on the glass (you’ll see why in a bit).  Using Rustoleum Chalkboard spray paint, I applied four coats to the glass following the instructions on the can.  I allowed that to dry for several days as well.  Once again, a day is sufficient.

I removed the tape from the glass, and As you can see, there were spots where the tape adhered to the glass so there isn’t full chalkboard paint coverage.  (See disclaimer below for tips)
Next, I measured the size of the frame on the magnetic sheet and cut the magnet to fit perfectly on the back of the frame.  I adhered the magnet to the back of the frame making sure to press firmly.  It would not be a bad idea to use a bit of superglue at this point. 


The last step is to cure the board by rubbing chalk over the entire surface of the board.  If you don’t do this first, whatever you write on the board will be permanently ingrained.  Voila!  You have a lovely chalkboard frame. 

*Disclaimer: This was certainly a learning experience for me.  Since I used an actual picture, there was paper backing on it.  I didn’t take the backing off until I was about to adhere the magnet.  Lo and behold, it was reminiscent of a normal picture frame and I could have removed the glass from the frame and painted them separately which would have resulted in full coverage.  If you can, I suggest using this method.  With DIY, you live and you learn!  

Supplies:
Picture frame
Painter’s Tape
Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Primer – All Purpose White
Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Paint – Semi-Gloss White
Rustoleum Chalkboard Paint
Magnet sheet
Chalk


{ Cenita }

No comments:

Post a Comment