Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Gluten Free Fried Salmon Cakes

Did you know that fish and pasta taste great together? That's one cooking tip from mom that I'll always remember. I had a taste for pasta (GF of course) and fish, and these fried salmon cakes (or croquettes depending on who you ask) hit the spot! 
Frying salmon cakes is always a bit intimidating for me. I want them to be tasty and not oil logged.  I want them to be moist, but I don't want them to fall apart in the oil. It's a delicate balance. Although I went into it with a slightly defeated attitude, I somehow came out triumphant! (ok, maybe I'm overdoing it a bit)
The key is to make sure the oil is hot. Also, you don't want to necessarily deep fry them.  Whether you make them more like balls or like patties, the oil should only come about halfway on the fish. 



Ingredients:
Canned salmon
Lemon juice
Season salt (little)
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Dash of cayenne
Scallions
Red & green pepper
1 Egg, beaten
GF breadcrumbs (if using Italian breadcrumbs, oregano and parsley not needed)
Oregano
Parsley 
GF flour
Preferred frying oil (I used canola)

Begin by finely chopping the scallions and peppers. Empty the can of salmon (with the juice) into a bowl and de-bone the fish.  Next, add desired amount of seasonings, chopped peppers and scallions, and a splash of lemon juice. At this point, everything is still completely edible so feel free to sample a tiny bit to see if it's well seasoned.


Heat the oil. While it's heating, add the egg and fold into the fish mixture.  Add the breadcrumbs but do so sparingly so the fish won't be dry. Form the cakes.  Once the oil is hot, dredge each cake in flour and place in the frying pan.  Cook the patties until brown.  It is ok to flip them a couple of times. "Drain" the cake on a paper towel lined plate. 


Enjoy!

Cenita }

No comments:

Post a Comment